Monday, January 26, 2009

Project Runway -- the Hat Challenge





With apologies to Tim and Heidi, and in honor of the most dedicated Project Runway aficinados, Jason and Chris, we present the latest challenge in Project Runway: The Hat Challenge.




"Designers, your challenge is to create a signature couture hat for a small infant, who has no say whatsoever in the matter.  You may use only 100 percent cotton didies, swaddles, or other infant clothing.  You have a budget of no dollars and one afternoon.  

Make it work.



CONTESTANT NO. 1:  I took my inspiration from millenery of the Bullfighters of Espana, a representative sample of which is displayed below.






Nina:  "I am touched by the paean to my heritage and I like the simple approach.  But maybe you could have given us a little more?"
Michael Kors:  "I have seen this so many times.  Really it is quite been there, done that."
Heid: "I am thinking more Princess Leia than Spanish Bullfighter."


CONTESTANT No. 2

In this design, I am harkening back to the carefree days of Marlene Dietrich and Isidora Duncan, and the long white flowing scarves of Hermes.




Nina Garcia:  "I just don't get it.  There is no there, there.  The classic Hermes scarf is white and you just gave us the same blue waffle cloth as Contestant No. 1.  I am disappointed."

Michael Kors:  "I WOULD be disappointed if I weren't so bored.  I mean, sure, the movement is nice and all, but Miu Miu just did that last season."



Heidi: "Isidora Duncan?  An Hermes scarf? Didn't that end rather badly?  I am not so sure I would have gone with that."






CONTESTANT No. 3

In this entry, I wanted to do something that deconstructed the concept of couture hats and at the same time, echoed the animal head coverings of the lost tribes of the Asian plains.  I really didn't budget my time or cloth wisely.  I just ran out of time."



Heidi:  (Giggling).  "Just stop, stop, stop.  I am laughing so hard I may burst my werchersnercher."

Michael Kors:  "Ran out of time and material? Honey, it looks like you ran out of taste.  Did you even look at this before you sent your model down the runway?  I am sensing some definite taste issues.  You know you can't teach taste."

Nina:  (Sniffing).  "I have nothing to say.  Nothing.  Please take it away."

CONTESTANT No. 4

I was struck by the beauty and simplicity of the homburg adaptations used by the Quecha peasants in Ecuador, which you can see below.



I found a lovely textured fabric and tried to evoke the simplicity and utility of the homburg, while softening and rounding its silhouette.


Heidi:  "I like it.  I think it works."
Nina:  "Finally, you are showing us something we can believe in.  This is a nice use of that fabric and yet stays simple and connected to its inspiration."
Michael Kors:  "It's a little tall for me.  But I appreciate the work around the brim. "













CONTESTANT No. 5

Louis XIV, the SunGod, was my muse.  In my design, I wanted the full radiance of a gilt monstrance.  Like Louis, I wanted no boundaries for my design.





Michael:  "Impressive and outrageous, which is the essence of couture.  And friend, let me say there are no boundaries for this hat.  Just duck your head on the way into Versailles!"
Heidi:  "I want it very much.  You have to make it for me for my next trip to Cannes."
Nina:  "It is statuesque.  It is moderne.  It is dramatic.  It speaks loudly.  But I still think there is some detail work missing.  But a very good effort, all in all.  I am, for the most part, well pleased."

CONTESTANT No. 6:

I liked the flow of this fabric.  I wanted something off the shoulder but balanced and organic.  I just tried to listen to the interior of the fabric.

Michael Kors: "I love it.  Smashingly elegant.  Touchable and yet sophisticated."
Nina:  "This tells me something about the very interior of your designer soul.  I appreciate your needle work, your design parti, and your choice of color."
Heidi:  "You are In!"

10 comments:

  1. A lot of time on your hands, I take it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. very funny. and I kept trying to become a contestant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the winner is Baby Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... and until tonight our "Queen of Soul" was in the lead with her "bowed inauguration chapeau" but, sadly for her, BABY JACK IS THE WINNER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me laugh so hard I cried.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mamma always told me to sleep when the baby sleeps..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sense a new Anne Geddes on the horizon..and you can't possibly be sleep deprived yet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is that hairy thing on his head? A sock?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't you read the tag attached to him: "This is not a toy". Don't worry Jackson, Uncle Brett will save you from this craziness.

    While some of the designs make me question the taste level, I have to say that look 6 is appealing, but perhaps a bit reminiscent of Alexander McQueen's Fall Winter 07 collection. I hope to see something a bit more original in the next challenge - "The Baby Man Skirt."

    ReplyDelete