Saturday, June 26, 2010

The nurturer...

Jack and I are in Birmingham visiting Dad. It is my first time home since Mom's funeral. We thought it was time for Jack to spread some of his joy! (Jeff is out in Colorado meeting his nephew, Lincoln.)

My father always surprises me with how good he is with little children. I guess having raised seven, I shouldn't be surprised that he would know his way around a toddler. Still, most men of his age don't have a bag of tricks to entertain small children. Every time we come home he surprises me.

This time it was the baby doll. Dad pulls this very lifelike baby doll out of the closet. I think it may be used for training expectant mothers, etc. It comes with batteries and it coos, giggles, babbles and cries. It is also reactive; when it cries, if you gently pat it, it will begin cooing and giggling.

Jack was transfixed.

When Dad gave him the baby, Jack immediately bear hugged the baby, carrying it around on his shoulder. Later on when the baby began crying (most likely because Jack was sticking his finger in the very life-like eyes), Jack became very concerned. I took the doll from him and showed him how to gently pat it on the back until the cooing started. You could see the relief wash over him when the baby stopped crying.

It was really moving to see him be so tender with the baby, when he's barely beyond being a baby himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment